Dehydration in Sports and Exercise
Vigorous or prolonged physical activity (i.e. during endurance sport or exercise) can lead to an increase in the body’s core temperature.
This usually results in a higher sweat rate which leads to the loss of bodily fluids and electrolytes and can cause mild to moderate dehydration.
- Optimal sports performance requires an athlete to be at their peak – physically and mentally.
- When exercising, you lose fluid and electrolytes through sweat which can cause dehydration.
- Dehydration can affect your mental and physical state, leading to problems that affect your performance, such as:
- Cramps, spasms, and soreness
- Impaired concentration
Did You Know?
Dehydration can impact your performance.
Relieving Dehydration During Sports and Exercise
When preventing and relieving dehydration related to sports and exercise, it is important to replace both the lost fluid and electrolytes. You need electrolytes for two key reasons:
- To retain the fluid you consume
- To help with nerve and muscle function
Hydralyte is an electrolyte solution clinically formulated for rapid rehydration that is suitable for athletes of all ages. It is low in sugar and high in the electrolytes lost in sweat, which your body needs to perform at its best. Athletes are required to perform at optimal levels, staying hydrated is a big factor in overall performance.
When using Hydralyte for dehydration related to endurance exercise (with tailored guidance), it is best to implement a fluid regime in consultation with your sports physician/occupational health physician.